Cooking time: 20 minutes, plus 2 hours cooling.
* 500g (1lb 2oz) sugar
* 200ml (7 fl oz) double cream
* 50g (2oz) butter
* 75g (3oz) pecan nuts, roughly chopped
* 50g (2oz) dried cranberries
* 1tsp vanilla extract
1) Butter a 20cm (8in) square tin. Put the sugar, cream and butter in a pain and heat, stirring, until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil gently until the mixture reaches 238°C (118°F) on a sugar thermometer) or drop a spoonful into a glass of cold water - it should form a soft, sticky ball).
2) Remove the pan from the heat and stir in nuts, cranberries and vanilla until it thickens. Tip into the tin, smooth down and leave to cool. Cut into bitesize pieces and store in an airtight container.